The Rookies supporting View Conference
We are pleased to announce that we will be supporting the View Conference this year. We have are few things being organised behind the scenes with Conference Director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. Stay tuned!
Ed Catmull to Speak at VIEW Conference 2020
Dr. Ed Catmull, computer graphics pioneer, Pixar co-founder and former president of Pixar Animation and Walt Disney Animation Studios will speak at Italy’s leading digital media conference. The 21st edition of the curated annual conference runs October 18 to 23 online and on-site in Torino, Italy.
"We are honored that Ed Catmull is participating in VIEW 2020," says Conference Director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. "He exemplifies the goal of this conference – to bring together scientists and artists who share their knowledge and inspire a new generation of creatives. Dr. Catmull has done that his entire career, from guiding the group of artists and scientists at Pixar Animation Studios to extending that leadership on to Disney Animation. I couldn’t be more excited to welcome him to the VIEW family."
In 2019, Dr. Catmull received the "Nobel Prize" of computing, the $1 million Turing Award, which he shared with Dr. Pat Hanrahan. He’s the author of the book, "Creativity, Inc.," which was shortlisted for the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award.
He has also received three Academy scientific and engineering and technical achievement awards, an Academy Award of Merit for significant advances to the field of motion picture rendering, and the Academy’s Gorden E. Sawyer Award for lifetime achievement in the field of computer graphics. He was awarded the IEEE John von Neumann Medal. He’s a Computer History Museum and Visual Effects Society Fellow. He received the VES Georges Méliès Award, the Annie Awards Ub IwerksAward for Technical Achievement and PGA’s Vanguard Award. And, he was inducted into the VES Hall of Fame.
Under Dr. Catmull’s leadership, Pixar’s feature and short animated films received 16 Oscars and Disney Animation’s animated features and shorts won five.
The international VIEW Conference, Italy’s premiere event for Computer Graphics, Interactive and Immersive Storytelling, Animation, Visual Effects, Games, and VR, AR, and Mixed Reality, brings top professionals from those fields to the beautiful baroque city of Torino, Italy for a week of talks, presentations, and workshops.
The 2020 VIEW Conference will take place from October 18 to 23 in Torino’s state-of-the-art OGR venue and virtually. Registration is now open.
Please join us!
"Because VIEW Conference will be online as well as onsite this year, we are taking advantage of the wonderful opportunity to include remarkable professionals from all over the globe,” says Conference Director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. "VIEW 2020 will be amazing."
For more information:
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/viewconference
- YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/viewconference
- Twitter: @viewconference
- Instagram: view_conference
- Sign up for the VIEW Conference newsletter: here
The list of VIEW Conference 2020 speakers announced so far includes:
- Ed Catmull, Co-founder, Pixar (Keynote)
- Tomm Moore, Director, Wolfwalkers, Cartoon Saloon
- Tony Bancroft, Director, Animal Crackers, Netflix
- Peter Ramsey, Co-Director, Spiderman into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation (Academy Award-Winner)
- Kris Pearn, Writer/Director, The Willoughbys, Netflix
- Jorge Gutierrez, Writer/Director, The Book of Life
- Jeremy Clapin, Writer/Director, I Lost My Body
- Sharon Calahan, Director of Photography, Onward (Pixar)
- Roger Guyett, VFX Supervisor, Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker
- The Mandalorian, Hal Hickel, Animation Director, The Mandalorian, ILM (Academy Award-Winner)
- Celine Desrumaux, Production Designer, Over The Moon, Netflix
- Nate Fox, Director, The Ghost of Tsushima, Suckerpunch
- Paul Debevec, Academy Award Winner, Senior Engineer, Google VR (Keynote)
- Glenn Entis, Academy Award Winner, Co-Founder PDI
- Scott Ross, Founder Digital Domain and Entrepreneur
- Trip Hawkins, Founder EA/3DO and Executive Coach
- Stefen Fangmeier, VFX Supervisor and Director, Game of Thrones
- Alison Mann, VP Creative/Strategy Sony Pictures Animation
- Don Greenberg, Jacob Gould Schurmann Professor of Computer Graphics, Cornell University (Keynote)
- Marino Guarnieri, Director, Gatta Cenerentola
- Nikola Damjanov, Nordeus
- Dylan Sisson, Artist, Renderman, Pixar
- Sebastien Hue, Concept Artist
- Kane Lee, Head of Story, Baobab
- Angie Wojak, Director of Career Development at the School of Visual Arts in New York City