Weekly Drills 050 - #FortniteBackBling
This week is a massive milestone for everyone who has been participating in Weekly Drills. With nearly a year of drills under our belts now, we thought our 50th should be something a bit more special.
This week is a massive milestone for everyone who has been participating in Weekly Drills. With nearly a year of drills under our belts, we thought our 50th drill should be something a bit special. Not only do we have a fancy prize this week, we also have a special guest judge from Epic Games that is currently working on Fortnite.
Firstly, I wanted to take a moment to give a big shout out to two industry legends that have been offering their time, support and advice. Without them, these drills wouldn't be what they are today:
- Justin Mohlman - leading the charge with Weekly Drills, Justin is a Game Development Learning Producer for Epic Games with some serious AAA game titles under his belt.
- Christina Ryan - an incredibly talented Look Development artists working at Rising Sun Pictures. Having worked on some epic blockbusters, her experience is a blessing to have involved with the drills.
This week we are getting our Fortnite on, arguably the most popular game in the world, with millions of fans playing the game daily across multiple platforms.
Your drill is to design and create a Backpack, also known as back blings, for one of the 45 official characters that battle in this world. The design aspect of the brief is completely up for grabs, so go wild and create any type of backpack you want. When creating your backpack, make sure that it could drop perfectly into the stylised world of Fortnite. You are allowed to submit both 2D or 3D entries.
Tip: Choose one character and use this to influence the design. Use a variety of believable materials and make sure the style is undeniably Fortnite.
Reference & Inspiration: Check out these official fortnite backpacks to get inspired: https://fortniteskins.net/backpacks/
Feedback: To get some feedback on your work-in-progress project before you submit it, head over to Discord channel and chat with other artists having a crack. To see all the Weekly Drill projects just follow this link.
One (1) winners will be selected by the judges and receive the following prizes:
- Embroidered Champion Backpack by The Rookies
- Official Weekly Drills Achievement badge to show off on your profile page.
- You have 2 x weeks for this drill.
- Submission close Sunday, April 5th, 2021
- Use your favourite art supplies, software and workflow.
- Only submit work created during this week.
- Submit as many entries as you want.
- You can use concept art, models, textures and other assets and include it in your project. However, make sure to credit the artist by linking to their work and explain exactly what you created.
- You must tag your project with #RookiesWeeklyDrills and #FortniteBackBling
Justin Holt will be joining the review panel for this drill. He is a Senior Texture Artist at Epic Games currently working on Fortnite.
Justin Mohlman is our resident weekly drills judges from Epic Games.
Christina Ryan - an incredibly talented Look Development artists working at Rising Sun Pictures.
Together they will evaluate entries and select a winner based on quality, creativity, and adherence to the challenge theme.
To enter this Weekly Drill, simple create a project for your portfolio and tag it. Remember, keep these drills loose and stress-free. This drill is about growing our digital skills, together, as a community.Create Weekly Drill Project
How many entries can I submit?
As many as you want.
How do I tag my project?
During Step 2 of the project building process, you will see a tag input field in the right column under your project title and description input fields. Note: Do not include "#" with your tag, the app already handles that for you. See below for example.